Post sponsored by Sabra
As someone who enjoys hummus daily, I was astonished to hear that only 25% of the American population regularly eats hummus. Then a food website editor that I work with explained to me how hummus is still considered exotic to the majority of their readers. Are you one of these people? This Thursday, May 21 marks National Hummus Day, so don’t delay. Start dipping today!
As much as I love dipping sugar snap peas into hummus (my pre-dinner staple), there is a whole world of hummus usage possibilities beyond that. My family and I have loved Sabra hummus for years and it’s on my weekly grocery list. I partnered with Sabra hummus as part of their Sabra Nutrition Tastemaker Panel, and I’m excited to share with you my favorite ways to enjoy this creamy, versatile dip.
1. As a sandwich spread: You won’t miss the mayonnaise when you replace it with hummus. One of my favorite lunches is prepared by spreading a whole-wheat tortilla with hummus, and layering with leftover roasted chicken, sugar snap peas and baby spinach. Two heaping spoonfuls of Sabra hummus can help boost protein, fiber and good fats, too. So satisfying.
2. As a breakfast spread: I like spreading a toasted 100% whole-wheat English muffin with hummus for a creamy, savory breakfast. Hummus is mostly made of chickpeas (you know, the bean that is also known as a vegetable), therefore helping you reach the USDA-recommended 1 1/2 cups of legumes per week, based on a traditional 2,000 calorie diet. Two scoops a day gets you to that goal.
3. Guaca-hummus: Mash a ripe avocado until smooth using a fork and stir in Sabra Spicy Hummus. This dip borders on “addicting.”
4. My white pizza: Spread a whole-wheat pita or naan bread with a thick layer of Sabra Roasted Pine Nut Hummus (my favorite flavor) and top with your favorites, like mushrooms, roasted bell peppers, spinach and olives. Pop it in the toaster oven until crisp on the bottom. Plant-based living at its finest.
5. Hummus tacos: Spoon Sabra Roasted Garlic Hummus into taco shells and bake. Top with lettuce, tomatoes and hot sauce. Delicioso.
6. As a salad binder: If you love tuna salad like I do, try mixing canned tuna with Sabra Tuscan Garden hummus instead of mayonnaise. Same goes for chicken.
7. In mashed potatoes: Go Mediterranean with your mashers by replacing butter with Classic Sabra hummus and olive oil for a fresh, clean taste. Here’s a recipe to try: Hummus Mashed Potatoes.
You might also enjoy: